There is a way to ensure that you have the desired thumbnail displaying for your website on Facebook. There are two options:
Option 1: Use a Picture widget
Facebook pulls the thumbnail image from the images added to the Picture widget. If the desired thumbnail image is not displaying, please make sure you've added the correct image to your page using a Picture widget.
- Go to Widgets and select Popular from the drop-down list.
- Drag and drop a Picture widget onto your page.
- Click Upload files if you wish to add a new image to the File Manager or you can browse through the existing image files you have in the File Manager.
- Select the image you wish to use.
- Click Save.
Option 2: Using code
Please note: You will need Yola Silver or Yola Gold to use this option, and that Facebook requires a minimum size of 200x200 px for the image you use.
- Open your website in the Sitebuilder.
- Go to Settings > Tracking.
- In "Header Code" box, paste in this code:
<meta property="og:image" content="http://yoursite.com/resources/yourthumbnailimage.jpg" />
- http://yoursite.com with the URL of your published site.
- yourthumbnailimage.jpg with the name of your image file.
- Click Save Changes and make sure you republish your site!
Now you can go to your Facebook wall and post your URL. The desired thumbnail image should come up.
Please keep in mind that while the code may work now, we cannot guarantee that it will continue to work in the future. Codes can become obsolete and/or conflict with the enhancements made to provide you with the best Sitebuilder possible.
If it still doesn't display, you will need to run your URL through the Facebook Debugger. To do this, please follow these steps:
- Clear cache and cookies of your browser.
- Log into your Facebook account.
- Click on this link (it must open in the same browser where you are logged into your Facebook account).
- Enter your URL in the field provided and click on the "Debug" button.
Once done, try to add your URL to your Status box on Facebook. It should now show the desired thumbnail.